Tuesday, February 7, 2017

MATH!

At an early age, I knew I wanted to pursue a career as a math teacher. I have always been a student that loves math. I have had outstanding math teachers that influenced my decision in becoming a teacher. One of the main reasons I wanted to become a teacher was to know that I am going to make a difference in someone’s education. Teaching mathematics is not an easy job, especially in high school. Math has always been perceived as one of the hardest subjects in school.   Math makes you think abstractly about ideas in a totally different way. I hear a lot of times that "I will never use this in the real world once I graduate" but honestly everyone uses math in his or her daily tasks. Without math we would not be able to add how much our grocery bill is each week, how much our bills will be per month, or how much a shirt is discounted for at the clothing store. I want to show students math can be fun. I want to get away from the stereotype that math is hard and show each student that they can succeed in math just like any other subject.

Vocabulary

Pursue (verb)- proceed along a path
Career (noun)- occupation/ job
Outstanding (adjective)- exceptionally good
Influenced (noun)- having an effect on the behavior of someone
Perceived (verb)- come to realize/ understand
Abstractly (adverb)- concepts that need to be visualized (imagined)
Honestly (adverb)- truthful
Discounted (verb)- deducted an amount from the original price
Stereotype (noun)- idea of a particular type of person or thing


Vocabulary Activity















Grammar Point
Indent: 
In a composition, indentation is the blank space between a margin and the beginning of a line of text. Verb: indent.


As you can see in the paragraph above, it is indented because it is the beginning of a paragraph. Every time you start a new paragraph you indent it.   

Grammar Activity:
True or False

1. True or false? You must use an indent before each sentence.

2. True or false? You must use an indent before each paragraph.

3. True or false? You can not use an indent when starting a story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment